The institute was established at Kolkata (then known as Calcutta) by Padma Bhushan late Prof. Boshi Sen on July 4, 1924 and named it as Vivekananda Laboratory. The Laboratory was permanently shifted to Almora in 1936 and was being run on donations and grants till it was handed over to Uttar Pradesh Government in 1959. On October 1, 1974, ICAR took it over and rechristened it as Vivekananda Parvatiya Krishi Anusandhan Sansthan.
MILESTONES IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE INSTITUTE
Establishment as small room Laboratory in
Calcutta - One man laboratory
1924 - Establishment as small room Laboratory in Calcutta - One man laboratory
1936 - Permanently
shifted the Laboratory to Kundan House, Almora
1943 - Change in
priority from fundamental physiological research to agriculture
1952 - Allotment of
15 acre land at Hawalbagh
1959 - Transfer of
Laboratory to U. P. Government and allotment of 215 acre land
1974 - Transfer of
Laboratory to ICAR and broadening of mandate
1986 - Creation of
2001 – Received
Patel Outstanding ICAR Institution Award 2000'
2008 - Recieved 'Sardar Patel Outstanding ICAR Institution Award 2007'
Late Prof. Boshi Sen - The founder director
Message - March ahead